At SPDS Jayanthi Vidyapeedam, we focus on co-scholastic activities for the all-round development of students. Our emerging student profile (ESP) put equal emphasis on knowledge, life skills and values. SPDS JV goes beyond academics to ensure that we provide students sufficient opportunities for achieving the ESP.
CO-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIESCo-Curricular activities are particularly good at providing opportunities for students to work in terms, to exercise leadership, and to take initiatives.
• Physical Education & Yoga: Develops fundamental physical and motor skills for a healthy life.
• Visual and Performing Art: Sharpens creative and aesthetic skills through Music, Art, Craft and Dance.
• Organic Gardening: Reconnect learners with the nature to develop keen interest for the environment through hands-on activities in gardening and waste management
• Speak Up: Offers the chance to develop your public speaking and debating skills.
• Life Skills: We emphasize on enabling individuals to adapt and deal effectively with the demands and challenges of life. We focus on development of Self-awareness, Empathy, Critical thinking, Creative thinking, Decision making, Problem Solving, Effective communication, Interpersonal relationship, coping with stress and Coping with emotion. We also focus on the practical life skills like entrepreneurship, household chores, first aid, personal safety, health awareness and many more We emphasize on enabling individuals to adapt and deal effectively with the demands and challenges of life. We focus on development of Self-awareness, Empathy, Critical thinking, Creative thinking, Decision making, Problem Solving, Effective communication, Interpersonal relationship, coping with stress and Coping with emotion. We also focus on the practical life skills like entrepreneurship, household chores, first aid, personal safety, health awareness and many more
Such vast exposure strengthens every leaners beyond mere academic quest.
Extra-Curricular activities are just as important as academics. They both complement each other to develop a well-rounded student with more social skills than one who only concentrates on their books. Education should go beyond the four classroom walls; it should be more than just books.
The Extra-Curricular activities provided in SPDS JV are:
• Karate / Martial Arts - The great thing about karate is that it’s a fun workout. Karate will help to improve confidence and respect. Practicing karate also helps to improve discipline and mental toughness. These mental benefits can then be used in everyday life.
• Silambam - The Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu has recognised Silambam as a sport and introduced it in School education. Silambam improves the flexibility of body and the reflex of the individual. It helps with muscle co-ordination and increases mental strength and agility.
• Skating - Studies have shown that roller skating provides a complete aerobic workout and involves all of the body's muscles, especially the heart.
• Western Dance - Dance awakens new perceptions in children which help them learn and think in new ways. Through dance, students learn teamwork, focus, and improvisational skills. Dance also enables students to better understand themselves and the world in which they live. Dance also enhances skills of perception, observation, and concentration which will undoubtedly help students in all of their school subjects.
• Chess - The game of chess helps young people learn to concentrate, think logically, overcome obstacles, spot patterns and categorize information. It helps with the development of problem-solving skills, planning, patience, focus of thought and self-discipline. Chess is a competitive activity, but , good sportsmanship and fair play are taught as essential elements of the game.
Studies have shown that students who participate in Extra-Curricular activities have a marked improvement in the grades. This can be attributed to skills they learn such as better time management to accommodate their hobbies and class activities, better organizational skills and a boost in their self-esteem.